Google Play China: Making US Google play into Chinese Google Play
This guide will instruct you on how to access Google play store in China, or any locale in the world!
It works for all phone types.
It works for all models and carriers.
It will show and make available all the apps and content as available in Google Play Store, US.
Phone, USB cable, Internet connection, VPN access (I use HMA), Supporting files.
** Your phone MUST be rooted and running ClockWorkMod OR be able to INSTALL FROM ZIP**. You’ll need to access configurations and allow programs superuser privileges in the /system folder.
Installing Google Play Store on any phone
- **Firstly, we need to access the Google Play Store – supported devices page and locate your device. If your device is supported, move on to step 4. If not, (and you’ll find many of the devices sold in China aren’t supported by Google), choose a device from the device list that is the closest approximation to your model.
- Install File Commander (included in supporting files). With File Commander, access the /system/build.prop, it will look like this…
Scroll down to the ro.product.model = GT-S7566
change it to the model compatible with Google Play Store.
in my case ro.product.model = GT-S7562. Save the file. A number of screens will come up asking if you wish to change the write permissions of the new file.
Restart your Phone.
It will tell you Android is loading updated software and gave you a short waiting screen.
- Next you need to transfer the GAPPS file to your phone’s SD card.
- Install the GAPPS file: restart the phone in Recovery mode by pressing UP+DOWN+HOME+POWER simultaneously. Navigate to the GAPPS zip. Install the zip.
- You will now need to fire up your mobile VPN software to access Google Play from your mobile phone in China. As it is now blocked.
Your phone will now work with Google Play Store and all free apps.
Access Play Store apps in any location Worldwide
This little cheat will allow you to ‘pretend’ you’re a U.S. resident.
Google go to great lengths to make their products available under the correct jurisdictions. If you want your phone to ALWAYS have the maximum apps and content, things will be changing regularly to make sure this stays the case. Search on the ‘net or should subscribe (to my blog), to keep abreast of changes.
- Install the Market Enabler apk included in the Supported Files.
- Log on to your VPN service. From your VPN go to the ‘Help’ section or knowledge base. From here you should find information about allowing their service to be accessed from your mobile device.
My VPN’s knowledge base looks something like this. It has all the information you need.
The process isn’t a difficult one. The hosts guide will guide you through it.
- Fire up Market Enabler. Select one of the carriers (in the U.S.) by pressing and holding.
Select ‘fake this connection now’.
- Fire up your VPN Proxy you just set up in step 2. from your mobile device. In mine, it’s in the other settings section.
If all goes well, it will tell you your device is connected. You will now be surfing from the U.S. from a U.S. carrier for all intents and purposes. (Check this with http://www.iplocation.net/).
- Fire up Google Play Store. This will now be running as if you’re a resident of the United States even if, like me, you’re accessing Google Play Store from a mobile in China.
Disclaimer: If you follow this guide exactly in facsimile, you won’t encounter problems. I take no responsibility for your actions other than those following the method above.
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2013 Michael Tyler in China. Stories of things Chinese